These brioche buns are a real treat. You can use them to make burgers or you can just eat them on their own with a smidgen of butter. I just love the freshness, quality and taste of homemade brioche buns.
All-Purpose Flour – 3 1/3 Cups (500 grams)
(Use The “Scoop & Sweep” Method For Cups. Use Bread Flour If You Want Chewier Buns.)
1 Cup Warm Milk – 1 cup (250 grams)
Warm Water– 1/4 cup (50 grams)
Traditional Dry Yeast – 1 ½ tsp (7 grams)
2 Tsp White Sugar – 2 tsp (12 grams)
(Plus A Pinch For Yeast Activation)
Kosher Salt – 1 ½ tsp (7 grams)
(Plus More To Taste)
Melted Butter 75 G – 5 1/3 tsp (75 grams)
Egg – 1
For Egg Wash:
Egg Yolk – 1
Heavy Cream Or Milk – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds To Sprinkle On Top
- Pour warm water in a small container. Add the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Stir and let activate for 10-15 minutes. The yeast is ready to be used once a foam cap is formed on the surface.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the rest of the ingredients except yeast. Mix the ingredients on low speed for about 1 minute, until the ingredients are somewhat mixed together.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix on medium speed for about 10 minutes, until the dough gathers into a ball and is soft and silky smooth. If doing by hand, follow the same sequence and knead in a bowl for about 10 minutes or so.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour and a half, until the dough about doubled in size. A cold oven with the light on is an ideal environment for dough fermentation.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces and form balls. Place the balls seam side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and cover with plastic to prevent drying. Proof for about 30 minutes in a warm room. The balls will increase in size by about 50% or so. If not, let them proof longer.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking one egg yolk with one teaspoon of heavy cream or milk.
- Remove the plastic wrap, score the buns, if desired, brush the egg yolk over each bun, sprinkle sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes, until the tops a deep golden brown.