Evelyn’s Sweet Potato Ravioli & Brown Butter
Serve the ravioli atop a bed of wilted spinach, if desired, to soak up every bit of the flavourful brown butter sauce.
Sweet Potatoes (Or Sweet Potatoes) – 1 1/2 Pounds
Golden Brown Sugar – 2 tbsp
Ground Cinnamon – ¼ tsp
Wonton Wrappers – 48 squares
Large Egg Whites, Beaten Until Foamy – 2
Brown Butter Sauce
Butter – ¾ cup (1 1/2 Sticks)
Balsamic Vinegar – 1 ½ tbsp
Chopped Fresh Thyme – 1 ½ tbsp
Chopped Toasted Pecans (Optional)
For Sweet Potato Ravioli:
- Pierce potatoes all over with fork. Cook potatoes in microwave on high until soft throughout, about 6 minutes per side. Cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half; scoop 2 packed cups potato flesh into large bowl. Mix in brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Season sweet potato filling with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Line large baking sheet with plastic wrap. Place 1 wonton wrapper on work surface. Using pastry brush, lightly brush wrapper with beaten egg whites.
- Place 1 tablespoon sweet potato filling in center of wrapper. Top with another wrapper. Press edges together to seal. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
For Brown Butter Sauce:
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Carefully mix in vinegar and thyme.
- Meanwhile, working in batches, cook ravioli in large pot of boiling sea salted chicken or vegetable stock until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, carefully transfer ravioli to hot butter sauce, spoon sauce over to coat ravioli.
- Transfer to plates. Sprinkle with pecans, if desired; serve immediately.